Thursday, July 01, 2010

4 Years Ago.

Almost exactly 4 years ago, I was in KMK.
I was lost in the midst of a grueling 8-hour lectures, labs and tutorials, the alienating feeling of Kelantanism, the amazing combo of ikan jeket and air paip for lunch and dinner, and the miserable lab reports that seemed to be a never ending horror. And as of July 5th that year, mid sem exam did not even fear half of my butt chic.
And I was lamenting the need for the library to block Friendster (remember that thing?).
There was a chick from life science, she's cute but she had a small line of mustache on her lips. Or something like that.

Almost exactly 4 years ago, it was a World Cup year.
Kaka was still an AC Milan player, and Dida was the undisputed number 1. Made-in-Inter Calciopoli was being investigated by the court, and clubs fear of being penalized.
Italy started their World Cup campaign in the usual slow manner, and gathered momentum as the the tournament progressed. They played extremely well, and defensively Italian - Buffon only conceded 2 goals; an own-goal and a penalty - and Canavarro was Baresi and Gattuso was a beast.

4 years on, I'm about to return to my Arau campus.
Lectures, lab and tutorials won't steal away 8 hours of my life every weekdays there, the number of Kelantanese people I have to deal with is enough to make them feel that THEY are the aliens, ikan jaket and air paip is now consigned to the far-away history of my personal dark age, and I have no lab reports to deal with whatsoever. Hell, I don't even have lab in the first place. Though finance assignments might affect my frail health again come next semester.
Friendster is now ancient history as Facebook and last.fm make headways, and I have my own personal broadband that blocks nothing on the web whatsoever.
There's a girl, she was in a different class last semester. She looks decent and seamlessly stole my heart. I still can't get her out of my system.

4 years on, it's another World Cup year.
Kaka is now a Real Madrid player, and Dida returns to Brazil. Inter the cheater capitalized on the Calciopoli that wrongfully affected her other rivals, and has now built a strong team. Indeed, because of Calciopoli.
Italy started their World Cup campaign slowly, only to fail to gather momentum and stumbled at the first hurdle. Defensively Italy were not being Italian, Buffon was injured - Machetti conceded 4 of the 5 goals mostly from set pieces - Canavarro played like a retired star on an exhibition match, and Gattuso only had his facial hair to show that he is still a beast. Inter Milan failed to provide a single Italian of note who can contribute greatly for the national team. Apart from Calciopoli, Inter's lack of Italian players in the first team did Italy a disservice.


Posts from 4 years ago...

http://nosurprises2.blogspot.com/2006/06/world-cup.html
http://nosurprises2.blogspot.com/2006/07/5-minutes.html
http://nosurprises2.blogspot.com/2006/07/shoot-me.html
http://nosurprises2.blogspot.com/2006/07/untitled-1.html